5 Delightful Ways to Live What You Already Know

“To me every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle.”
~Walt Whitman

OK, let’s get serious. I know that you know, even if you don’t admit it to yourself. How could you not?

In your heart of hearts, in the deepest place within yourself, you know the truth. The truth of living from love, of being free of whatever holds you back, of fullness, well-being, and contentment. Why pretend you don’t know any longer?

You might be afraid to acknowledge and live this knowing. You might be diverted by thinking your life doesn’t measure up or you’ve been dealt a bad hand or you’re a prisoner to your to-do list.

But if you go within and tell the truth, you will find this seed of possibility and turn it into the living flesh-and-blood reality of your precious life.

All you need to do is start with this very moment, then the next and the next. Let the truth expand and be alive in you – in your choices, your priorities, and what you value most. Don’t worry about what others will think; you only need to answer to yourself.

But you’re not being selfish at all. Live what you already know. You are at peace, and everyone around you gets to bask in your glow.

None of these five truths will be news to you. You know them already more intimately than you could imagine. Is now the time to start living them?

Enjoyment

Is it so hard to enjoy yourself? Yes, things can be hard sometimes, but for the most part, it is easy to make the choice to enjoy.

• You can be caught up in your mind about all the things you should do, or you can sit quietly and drink a cup of tea.
  • You can worry about your relationships, or you can let your heart open and offer a hug or kind word.
  • You can think about everything that is missing from your life, or you can go outside and take a walk.

Recognize when you’re not enjoying yourself, and see what other choices are available. What do you choose?

Appreciation

You already know how to appreciate whatever you are grateful for. Because at the purest level of the totality of life, nothing is separate. There is just the substance of life that includes everything and doesn’t resist or reject anything.

From this point of view, you see yourself everywhere. How could you not be grateful?

It’s part of our culture to appreciate – how many times a day do we say, “Thank you?” Next time you do, don’t just throw the words away by rote. Instead, feel the gratitude in your bones. Consciously experience the “thank you” for that favor, compliment, or overture of friendship.

Then simmer in gratitude. Don’t even think about it – simply contemplate the possibility of living in appreciation. With distracting mental chatter out of the way, it’s so easy to be grateful.

Savoring

Life is bursting at the seams in every moment in an amazing array of people, objects, sounds, sights, situations. Rather than judging what you experience by dividing it into right and wrong, acceptable and inadequate, try savoring things as they are.

Don’t be concerned about liking or disliking. Come out from behind the fog of any thinking and see things as if for the first time. Like an apple, for example. Use your senses to take it in. Taste and smell it. Hear the crunch. Savor the deliciousness of this apple moment.

Now savor the experience of everything – your home, your partner, doing the dishes, walking the dog, working.

Be present with what is as it is by not rejecting one iota of it. This is it. Right here. Your now moment.

Wholeness

You might think that you are deficient or damaged, but what you already know is that you are whole. You may have had life experiences that tricked you into believing that you are not OK. Is that really the truth?

Even if it’s just a whisper, you know that before any ideas of you, you are limitless, infinite, magnificent, so full you are overflowing. Something in you believes that this is true. Because it is.

What would it be like to live from wholeness? No more fear of rejection or pretending you are a victim. You realize that every moment offers opportunities that support happiness and well-being. And you are free to choose them.

Instead of pretending you are damaged, assume that you are whole. Then the world is your oyster.

Peace

You can choose to resist what is actually here in this moment, but you are going against the grain. Because you know that reality is already at peace with itself.

You don’t need to find inner peace. If you stop battling your own experience, peace is revealed, naturally. Stop running from your emotions or believing things would be better “if only,” and, effortlessly, peace will permeate your experience.

You have to work to be at war by thinking and resisting. Do you want to be peaceful? You don’t have to do one single thing except align your consciousness with things as they already are.

A blessed, effortless life is so available when you live what you already know. Surrender everything to enjoyment…appreciation…savoring…wholeness…peace. Wake up to the truth of yourself.

Do you live what you know in your heart of hearts? I’d love to hear…

image credit

1. avatar susan shannon
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

I practice all of these things as I go through my day. Yet I get tripped up sometimes by people being rude, situations that seem unfair and stress caused by lack of work. I dig deep to find awareness in what triggers me to fall away from gratitude, savoring, peace and enjoyment. I think even the most earnest heart/soul isn’t perfect in aspiring to achieve what you’ve written about.

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your honesty, as I know we all can relate. Maybe perfection isn’t the goal. Rather, what about taking every moment as an opportunity to figure out how not to suffer. So if someone is rude for example, and it triggers you, you get to look at the triggering. All kinds of potentially annoying situations happen all the time – but they are only annoying when we have an emotional reaction to them or tell a story that says they shouldn’t be happening.

Yes, there are pleasant circumstances that can happen, but ultimately our happiness has nothing to do with the outside world. That is where these reminders about enjoyment, appreciation, savoring, etc. can be useful signposts along the way. I love that you are so committed to digging deep to explore how you get triggered. From my experience, that is what it takes to be happy.

2. avatar Dana
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Beautiful insights. I noticed they create the acronym PAWSE (Peace Appreciation Wholeness Savoring Enjoyment) …I posted them on a note on a work desk and will remember to PAWSE many times each day to re-center my thoughts, words and actions on those helpful concepts. Thank you.

• avatar Bonnie Perry
      Posted February 28, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Dana, I love that acronym. :) what a great contribution! And, Gail, thanks for continual encouragement to ‘get real’ with our life’s capability. Of course we know. The more I can allow myself to stop a moment and unzip the suitcase full of marching orders and step out into the spaciousness it is easier and easier to stop pretending and see that nothing is missing. The suitcase can still be present but I don’t ever have to be packed tight inside of it. :)

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Bonnie,

Great minds think alike in appreciating Dana’s PAWSE. Yes, of course we know. Then it becomes a matter of stopping the pretending, as you say. Great metaphor about not being packed inside that very full suitcase!

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Love this acronym, Dana! Very useful – thanks for sharing it here.

3. Posted February 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this post, which is something I’ve been needing to see. I’ve been raging for months – at living in an unfinished home, at a disempowering work environment, at not being engaged yet, at being too tired to do anything on weekends except watching TV, at not finding a new job fast enough, at feeling disconnected from friends, at my partner who is not doing and saying exactly what I want him to, at my ex-partner, at feeling inadequate, at feeling permanently enraged.

I’m exhausted.

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Wow, Gina. You have so much support here to begin to untangle these messes. You can start with the ideas in this post and apply them in this moment and the next and the next. This will help to simplify your reactions to these life situations that seem very complicated.

These are stories of lack and inadequacy that you are taking to be true. Know that another way is possible.

Wishing you deepest rest and so much love…

4. Posted February 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Gail,

I always love reading your posts. As what you have written here is fantastic and inspiring.

As I read the post, the two words that kept occurring to me were mindfulness and acceptance.

In order to tap into that inner truth I believe we must be able to self-reflect and focus on the moment at hand. A supervisor of mine once told me that depression is about the past, and anxiety is about the future. Peace is found in the present. I think there is wisdom in those statements.

I also think that in order to realize that inner truth we must be in a position to accept it.

Lots of food for thought in your post.

Thanks!
    Chris

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Great, Chris. And lots of food for thought in your comment. Awareness, openness, and willingness. These qualities are just what is needed to recognize that presence is always here, waiting for our kind attention.

• avatar Tod
      Posted October 9, 2013 at 7:09 am | Permalink

I would only add awareness and “onscious”acceptance. Being conscious of what it is that we need to PAWSE for.

• Posted October 13, 2013 at 7:32 am | Permalink

Yes, I love that – conscious acceptance. In fact, our true nature is always accepting, we can’t not be one with everything. And when we are conscious of this fact, life is delightful!

5. avatar Lisa Kuzak
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Gail. I have stepped off the treadmill and am now standing open armed in a field of flowers. I don’t know what I’m going to do for work or with my life, but I have finally found the courage to rest in peace, appreciation, savoring, wholeness, gratitude, and a few other lovely states such as ease, simplicity, stillness, nurturing, wonder, creativity….which are all just subsets of what you already spoke of. I
    notice that where there used to be fear and endless scheming, there is now a curious waiting, an open receptivity, and a comfort with the unknown.

fear and endless sscheming, therndlesss scheming

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

So delightful, Lisa. Moments of wonder, space for creative arisings. All so simple. Yes, the end of scheming and fear brings the beginning of openness and receptivity.

Lovely life…

6. avatar Lisa Kuzak
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Sorry about that last line. I couldn’t erase it from my phone…

7. avatar Arun Solochin
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 1:00 am | Permalink

These lines blew me away..
    Thank You So much.

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

I love the resonance with the truth, Arun. It’s what we all already know.

Love to you….

8. avatar Chris Wheaton
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 5:13 am | Permalink

I was DELIGHTED to read your article this morning. It is so easy to get distracted and take off on the negative energy bunny trails. Your truth deeply resonates with me and gives me the resolve to stay present in this beautiful day!

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Great, Chris. It resonates because it is where we all meet, dissolving into oneness.

9. Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Great post! I absolutely adore how you described peace. Yes, that is absolutely it.

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Yes, Karen. It’s not about peaceful circumstances. When we end the war with our own experience, peace is revealed. So simple!

10. avatar Serena
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

This was a beautiful post. One thing that really rang true for me is feeling like a prisoner to my to-do-list. I have felt like this for as long as I can remember. I feel like I am constantly preparing for a day when my life will actually begin. I have set my lists aside many times and found peace where I am now, but whenever I start to pursue the things I want (genuine desires to write, make music, stay in shape etc) I, again, start to feel like a prisoner to them, and I become obsessive. There seems to be little in between. As a result, I often resign to doing nothing. I have no problem with stillness, but I cannot seem to find peace in action. I feel like I have suppressed my creativity to a painful degree in the name of perfectionism.

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Hi Serena,

It sounds like something happens when you start pursuing your interests after putting your lists aside. The doing of these things comes from a natural, creative place in you, but just as they emerge, your habits come in like a freight train and derail you from happiness. That is just the moment to be aware like a laser. There are belief systems that kick in or fears or feelings that put you right back on the hamster wheel of obsession and prison. There is an opportunity at that time where you can potentially catch yourself as you start believing the propaganda that the mind spews out. “I won’t do it right.” “What’s the point, I’ll fail anyway.” You know what it’s like to live in those stories.

Letting go of the lists is a marvelous first step. Next is to become so aware of when the habits start to kick in that you can make the choice to not let them have the power. These habits of perfectionism are fear-based and don’t serve you. See the fear and the beliefs that catch you, then move them aside as you continue to move forward in freedom. This is where you can find peace in action.

Feel free to let me know how it goes. In great support….

• avatar Bonnie Perry
        Posted March 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I was touched by Serena’s post, I just wanted to comment. Until recently I could have written those words myself and you are so on target with your helpful response, Gail. I had so many stories on what I was supposed to make of my creative desires, not to mention what they were supposed to make of me. It wasn’t really helpful for me to work with coaches to help ‘get it out’ either – I even had one say after some free creative energy was beginning to be enjoyed: well you can’t stop now, what are you going to DO with it? And I immediately became stuck again. What finally helped was releasing all agenda and opinion around my creativity – my own and everyone else’s and letting the first mark on paper (or dance-step danced or note sung) be a gift complete right there and then in and of itself, without any further justification or necessary continuation. And, funny thing I continued whenever I felt like it more and more. I also noticed how this attitude spread throughout every area of my life. As you say, “See the fear and the beliefs that catch you, and then move them aside as you continue to move forward in freedom.” Beautiful!

11. avatar Martin
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

This post resonates very much with me. I have been striving to live this way for a year now , and its just incredible how fulfilling and satisfying life is becoming. Engaging in the energy of life all around is really good, but I am finding I get into a “flow” and can see older parts of my life and certain relationships suffering as they just do not fit well anymore. But maybe that pointing out something to me !

My life path is changing by my action, and I no longer feel “imprisoned” in my own self constructed walls. Its strange but I almost feel like a kid again in some ways.

Keep up the inspirational blogs…

• Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for sharing this, Martin. You are an example of the freedom and fulfillment that are possible by living consciously, guided by love.

Yes, sometimes people and situations fall away. This is natural and comes from clarity that you probably didn’t have before.

Freedom from self-constructed walls yields to our essential innocence. Reality is so fresh! You are experiencing it as if for the first time – because it is the first time in any given moment. No wonder you feel like a kid! So delightful!

12. avatar John
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 7:35 am | Permalink

I always love your post. This one resonates with me deeply. I am on a spiritual path to awaken my mind and live a life of peace and joy . It is not an easy task to let go and live in each an every moment, But i see it and totaly understand the beauty of it. And life said to me resistance is futile surrender to the bliss

• Posted March 3, 2013 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Beautiful life, John, and inspiring commitment. It’s hard sometimes to surrender to that which is the source of all, but eventually the mind gets the message that it is no longer in control. And so great that we don’t have to be concerned with all moments – just this one, right now. Then try surrendering the one who thinks he/she needs to surrender. Everything collapses into the one.

13. Posted March 4, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Over and over, we are reminded that we have choices. You have highlighted choices that bring us into the present moment in joy. What a refreshing post!

14. Posted April 2, 2013 at 10:09 am | Permalink

I love that acronym that Dana wrote! PAWSE, I wrote that one down and put it up on the wall in front of my desk too! This a great reminder to live aware of the lives that we live. Thanks!

15. Posted April 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Great post!

Its important that we remember that we have choices and that we should not procrastinate when choosing.

Research shows that people who make decisions quickly, even when lacking information, tend to be more satisfied with their decisions than people who research and carefully weight their options.

Some of this difference is simply in the lower level of stress the decision created, but much of it comes from the very way our brains work.

• Posted April 3, 2013 at 4:30 am | Permalink

Hi Craig,

Doubt is one of the by-products of fear. So it’s possible that people who choose quickly are trusting of their intuition and therefore happier, while those who deliberate are afraid of making the wrong choice. I know this in my own experience and find life so much more fluid by trusting the impulses that appear. Thanks for your comment.

16. avatar Shelby
    Posted April 4, 2013 at 7:36 am | Permalink

I do know in my heart what I already know! I know it well!! My problem is having the COURAGE to listen to what I know. It seems when I try to embrace what I know..something stops me and ends up, once again, being a vicious cycle of negative thinking.

• Posted April 5, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Shelby,

It does take courage to step away from the familiar way of being and live what you know in your heart to be true. Negative, fearful thoughts will stop you every time, if you believe them. The thoughts might come, but you don’t have to choose to let them rule you.

I’m so glad for you that your heart speaks to you so clearly. When the time is ripe, you will listen. Start small, and learn that this is a voice you can trust.

We meet in the one heart….

One Trackback